NALS Basic Manual for the Lawyer's Assistant, 13th, a guide for legal professionals, lays out legal principles and approved law office procedures for those who have previous experience in the legal fields. It assumes a working knowledge of legal terminology and law office procedure, and includes chapters on:
- Career development
- Law office management, computer information systems, and accounting
- Legal writing and legal research
- The courts and administrative agencies
- Trial preparation, civil procedure, and criminal procedure
- Torts, contracts, real estate transactions, landlord and tenant
- Estate planning, estates, guardianships, and family law
- Business organizations, bankruptcy, taxation, and arbitration
- Environmental law, water law, and oil and gas law
- Labor law, intellectual property law, pension and profit sharing plans, and workers' compensation law
- Admiralty and maritime law, antitrust law, and immigration law
- Federal civil rights and employment discrimination laws
Easy-to-read charts, diagrams, and illustrations provides practical guidance on topics the successful lawyer's assistant must address every day. A bibliography, several glossaries and index are also included.
It is the required text for the NALS Legal Training Course and reference for the PLS and Professional Paralegal exams. A Student Study Guide (419631) and an Instructor's Manual (419619) are not available for general sale, but are available to course Instructors.