Published by the American Bar Association (ABA), Coaching Your Client: A Lawyer's Guide for Improving Communication and Client Outcomes provides practical client coaching skills you can put into practice immediately to improve attorney-client relationships. Using an "Attorney-Client Alliance" model, the author shows lawyers how to empower their clients and engage them in solutions rather than trying to impose a preferred solution upon them. The benefits of this approach include:
- Happier clients and a more productive attorney-client relationship
- A competitive edge in customer service
- Better client retention and attraction of new clients
- A competitive advantage in conflict resolution
- A more meaningful and fulfilling practice
- A reduction in stress and burnout
The quintessential relationship skills resource for attorneys, chapters cover the principles of coaching, the history of coaching and the law, and how to design an "attorney-client alliance." The author also emphasizes that lawyers must work toward their own fulfillment in order to help clients achieve their fulfillment, or as she puts it, "Happy lawyer, happy client."